Yoni Steam Preparation & Information
Prepare your steam by following the instructions below. Care will need to be placed before beginning to boil the herbs so please read all instructions first. If you have any questions, please reach out to us directly at email@example.com.
What is Yoni Steaming?
Yoni Steaming, also known as Vaginal Steaming, is the holistic practice of using the warmth of a gentle herbal steam to permeate the exterior of the vagina. During your yoni steam session, a base formula of Chinese herbs will be combined with herbs specific to your constitution and then decocted over a single burner. During your treatment, you will simply sit on a sauna box that contains the burner and the herbal decoction and allow the steam to flow upwards. This process is incredibly nourishing to your feminine essence. Clients have reported feeling empowered, invigorated, and rejuvenated after yoni steaming sessions.
Yoni steaming has a vast history in most every culture. From Africa to Asia to the Caribbean, medicine women have been preparing yoni steams for each other to cleanse the uterus, release toxins, detox, strengthen reproductive organs, and regulate menstrual cycles. These sessions have connected women for millennia and inspired positive relationships with their feminine energy.
There are many conditions for which yoni steaming is indicated. Women have noticed that it can:
- Regulate Irregular and Absent Menstrual Cycles
- Increase Fertility
- Relieve Chronic Vaginal and Yeast Infections
- Reduce, and actually Melt, Fibroids
- Reduce Ovarian Cysts
- Relieve Uterine Pain
- Speed Weightloss Post Birth
- Assist with the Recovery from Vaginal Tear, Episiotomy, and C-Sections
- Ease Symptoms of Menopause
- Relieve Menstrual Pain
- Increase Sexual Desire and Lubrication
- Decrease Infection and Odor
- Detoxify the Womb
- Released Stored Negative Emotions Trapped in the Uterus
- Tone the Reproductive System Post-Birth
- Significantly Reduce Pain and Bloating due to Menstruation
And we'd be remiss if we didn't mention the undeniable connection to the feminine that is reached during a Yoni Steam.
Find a comfortable space for this treatment. The bathroom is ideal because you will need the floor to be safe for heat (eg. tiles). You can prepare a platform of a couple of folded shower towels to place your pot upon, either on the floor or in the bathtub. The ideal height of the pot of herbs is around your calves.
For your comfort, you can prepare a special chair to sit in. For example, you can use a wood stool with slates across the top or cut a round hole in a wicker chair or camping chair, small enough for the steam to rise in, but not too large that your bottom falls through! About 4 inches in diameter is good for most people. If you do not have a steaming chair, you will be standing over the pot in a wide squat, similar to horse stance.
You will need a cooking pot. Glass or ceramic is best; steel is fine; never aluminum. First, place your herbs in a 2-3 quart pot and cover with about 8 cups of water to SOAK for about 30 minutes. Then, bring your herbs to a BOIL, and then reduce to a SIMMER for 30 minutes with the lid slightly open.
While your herbs are still steaming, take the pot off of the stove and move it to your prepared space. Place it carefully on top of the towels and test the heat of your steam at the height that your vagina will be. When the steam is warm, but not too hot, stand or sit over the pot and allow the steam to rise upward into your (panty-less) vagina. Stay in this position until the heat is gone. The length of your steam will depend on how long the heat remains, but steaming typically can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes.
You may want to cover your upper body to stay warm during your steam. Additionally, you may choose to cover your lower half as well in an effort to keep the heat in and increase the detoxifying benefits of the steam. Please use caution as to not warm yourself too much if you are experiencing signs of heat, such as hot flashes, night sweats, and burning sensations.
Cooling and Straining
Once the steam has finished and cooled, you can strain out the herbs and pour the liquid into one or more squeeze bottles for use as a douche in the shower. These will be one-time use per bottle. Add one tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar per cup of liquid and shake well. For application, squeeze the bottle to send liquid up into the vagina, then allow it to run out and wash naturally. If you are experiencing a bacterial infection, please do not insert anything into your vagina.
Please read through the following Contraindications and Cautions to Yoni Steams before use.
Yoni Steams are Contraindicated for those who fall into any of the below categories:
- Pregnant women
- Women who are currently menstruating
- Women who are prone to spontaneous bleeding
- Women who are trying to conceive should not steam between ovulation and their next menstruation in case they are pregnant
Yoni Steams may be appropriate for women whom experience the following; however, we may modify your steam or recommend a specific course of treatment:
- Women who are prone to infection (herpes, UTI, yeast)
- Women who are trying to conceive (we will not steam between ovulation and the next menstruation)
- Women experiencing short menstrual cycles (less than 27 days)
- Girls under the age of 13 who have reached menarche
- Women with IUDs
- Women experiencing hot flashes and/or night sweats
- Women with a history of interim bleeding in the past six months
In addition the following recommendations should be strongly considered:
- Steam sessions can be once a week, once before and once after menstruation, or with the moon cycles.
- It is often recommended to stay warm during a steam session by covering the shoulders with a blanket. We may recommend adding or removing this extra layer depending on your constitution.
- It is important to stay hydrated during and after a steam. Also, raw fruits and vegetables are great to replenish water and cool the body before or after a session.